Monday, March 25, 2013

がんばって

がんばって. Ganbatte. Work hard.

It's something the Japanese say to each other to encourage hard work and perseverance. I've heard it so many times since being in Japan...because it's been directed at me. Learning Japanese has not been easy. I've said "wakarimasen" (I don't understand/I don't know) more than I can keep track of and it seems like wakarimasen isn't packing it's bags to leave any time soon.

The most recent form of Japanese language torture manifests itself as counting. There are different ways to count different shaped objects. Irregular shaped things like apples or jars or tv sets have a different counter word depending on how many things being counted. (1,2,3 = hitotsu, futatsu, mikku...). People are counted by adding -nin, except for 1 person and 2 people (hitori and futari). Flat things like sheets of paper and postage stamps are counted by using -mai. Two pieces of paper = kami o ni-mai...But two books = hon o ni-satsu. Different counter words. Long cylindrical shapes are counted as -pon, -bon or -hon depending on how many things you're counting (ippon, ni-hon, sam-bon...1,2,3). Ahhhh.
So, interestingly...
Two cylindrical shaped objects = Nippon
Japan = Nippon.
Japan = two cylindrical shaped objects.

To save us from all feeling stressed out, I'll leave you with a picture of an adorable girl leaving school and a parking space sign that was too good to pass without stopping and taking a picture.


I've also found out that hospital staff badminton games start next week. Better get myself a racket.

No comments:

Post a Comment