Friday, April 12, 2013

best nyght of mai lyfe.

This morning at the hospital, in the middle of doing the daily routine we've become accustomed to, I experienced something that put my whole time here in perspective and really touched my heart. In the cerebral internal medicine ward, there is a very organized schedule for patients and their bathing times. Every day I help to bathe a few patients by helping them into and out of a laying down shower and washing their hair, hands and feet. Today, I was told to be very gentle because our female patient was quite old and quite fragile. I was to wash her hands. I am still a little timid and nervous with patients, but when I began to wash her hands she looked at me and gripped my hand snugly in hers. We communicated despite our language difference. We held hands for some time as I washed them for her. The emotional connection I felt with her was amazing and in that moment I realized how fortunate I am to be here and that regardless of how I feel sometimes, I'm doing what I am meant to do. I won't forget that feeling for the rest of my life.

In other hospital news, Beru san is gone! He left the hospital yesterday after I'd gone home. But, we've still been invited to a flower viewing party with him tomorrow and we totally plan on going! So, at 2 pm tomorrow we'll see if we deciphered his invitation correctly. I think I'm in for an interesting afternoon.

Finally, the most wonderful of things happened tonight! We were invited to the Iizuka Hospital 25th year annual New Staff members party! In Japan, the new work year starts in April when most of the hiring happens. This year, the hospital has hired 168 new members including nurses, medical engineers, doctors and administrative staff.....and us (sorta). They had a buffet style meal including sushi (HEAVEN), chicken, spring rolls, salads, noodles, fruit, french fries and more. Samantha and I quickly stuck out as foreigners when we filled our plates and brought them back to our table to eat. In Japan, each member of the table fills a small plate with a single item and brings it back to the table for everyone to share. Oops, our bad. There are also no chairs around the table; they eat standing. They also take the time to go around the entire room to meet everyone. I was introduced to so many people today from multiple different wards, some of who I will be working with! I'm really looking forward to it, they were so lovely and I'll never get tired of their answer to "nice to meet you"..."naice tchu meetchu...toooo!!" Adorable.

We also had the chance, with the president of the hospital and on stage in front of everyone, to break open a barrel of o-sake with wooden hammers and share a drink with everyone: "kanpai!". This is a Japanese tradition called kagami-biraki that represents an opening of good fortune and harmony. I was happily surprised they chose Samantha and I to take part in this tradition. :)

It's when the speeches began that made my heart stop. "Are we going to have to say something...? No, they wouldn't make us do that......Right?" The answer to that was an absolute "oh yes they would". Samantha and I were pushed on stage with microphones in front of 170 new staff members, the president and vice president of the hospital. Panic stricken, I made a hasty decision that if looking like a semi-fool made people laugh, then that's what I'd go with. My speech turned out like this:

...Konbanwaaaaaaaa. (Laughter, clapping and "KONBANWA"!!!!)
Watashi no namae wa Olivia desu. Canada-jin desu. Ni ju san zai desu ("Ohhhhhh!!")
Eeh....Nihongo ga chotto wakarimasu (eeehhhh?!!)
DEMO.....GANBARIMASU! (EHH!!! clappping and laughter)

It went well. Hanaoka san said my speech was great! 
After that...was karaoke. Check out the short video I recorded! (I'm pretty sure you can hear me laughing at times).

Following this performance (from a first year resident doctor!) a whole bunch of us went on stage to sing with President Tanaka san. 

I had such an amazing night! :) :) Everyday I love the Japanese and appreciate their culture more and more. They truly are excellent and very admirable people. So friendly and they absolutely plain and simply love to just have fun! 

Samantha, Hanaoka san (director of the Fureai Centre), myself and the new Fureai Centre staff :)




Title of this blog inspired by a new favourite youtube video:

I chundered evrywhuuurrrrrrr

No comments:

Post a Comment