Tuesday, June 11, 2013

First day on H3F and Tsukahara sans goodbye dinner

Welllll...long time no see!! Sorry, I've had the craziest of weeks EVER (do I say that every post? Maybe. Japanlifestyleeee). Anyways, wanted to tell you here that I've written two entries, so scroll down to see what I did before all of this stuff happened :)...

Monday June 10th marked my first day on a new ward, oncology and chemotherapy. At first, I thought I'd have to put away my dancing shoes for the next two weeks and throw on my serious face considering the ward. But I was mistaken. I've already had a great experience watching a picture slide show with music of a patients trip with his wife. This patient had previously had a laryngectomy and his voice box was removed, so he can't speak. Never the less he gestured like crazy and wrote things out for me, he was marvelous. He also calls the nurses by clapping, which I think is rather cute. I also had a chance to listen to him speaking Japanese with the use of an electrolarynx, pretty interesting. I've also had a few fun dance offs with a female patient, she's all about having a good time. :) The nurse aids, Aoyagi san, Kawakami san and Takahashi san are great! They speak really fast though! I don't even understand what on earth they're talking about! We just laugh it off and try gesturing some more. If it's still a no, I just follow them and they show me, or, we look it up in my mini dictionary.

I also forgot to mention! June 8th....3 months into my trip. 3 months in Japan. 3 months left in Japan. My trip is now working towards its conclusion. I can't believe it. Here's to making it last and making it even more unforgettable.

Monday night was also a night of goodbyes. Tsukaraha sensei, the doctor who runs the English classes that I help teach on Tuesday nights, is leaving Iizuka Hospital some time next week to go to work in Okinawa. We're really sad to see her leave. She is a brilliant pediatric physician, an excellent English teacher and always so much fun and filled with energy and since I've known her she's made such a positive impact on my life here in Japan. A couple members of the English class celebrated her going away party at a nearby restaurant for unreal sashimi (including the poisonous-if-not-prepared-properly-it-takes-10-years-of-training-to-work-with blowfish fugu, which I couldn't pass up), pizza, udon, rice dishes, chicken, omurice and killer deserts. We managed to all be there despite the running joke that Tsukahara sensei won't show up if I'm there (she was late, I was nervous she'd call and say "..is she there?....yes? I'm not coming!). We presented her with a card that we all signed, in English, and some gifts.

The group :) Tsukahara sensei in white at the head of the table.
Worth mentioning: the name of the man sitting to the left of me is Yu. I never get tired of "Hey Yu!" or "It's Yu!". He thinks it's funny....I think.


We will miss you Tsukahara sensei! 
Maybe I'll get to visit you in Okinawa before I leave Japan! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment