Sunday, June 16, 2013

My CrAzY Weekend!

Soooooo, turns out Matt hadn't had his fill of Fukuoka while in Japan on holiday. He found time to make it back on Friday! We stayed in a Japanese style inn called a ryokan where I felt like I was living in the Edo period (around the 1600s), it was lovely and we slept on traditional tatami mats as well. At dinner, we left the choice up to the restaurant to feed us whatever they thought we'd like. "Omakase onegaishimasu" is my favourite saying ever in Japan, it means "chef's choice" or basically "I'll leave it up to you." Excellent!!
Matt left Fukuoka by indulging in a Fukuoka specialty, Goboten udon! Delishhhh. Bye (again) Matt, thanks for visiting! :D You da besttttt.


Saturday I met with Tahira sensei in Fukuoka for SUSHI lunch at an extremely busy restaurant in the Tenjin area. It was unreal. The sushi was to DIE for and we sat front and center while the sushi chef was making food. He even put on a little show for me when I showed my [intense] interest in the sushi making process! Arigatou Gozaimasuuuu!!! Oishikatta desu yo!

*Video coming soon, it's great!*

After the amazing meal, we made our way to a movie theater to catch The Great Gatsby!


Check out the trailer here: pretty intense.


I'm not Tobey Maguire's biggest fan, but the sound track and the camera work in the movie was absolutely unbelievable. Leo also never fails to impress me (love you). Oh and it was in English with Japanese subtitles; I felt spoiled being the only Westerner in the joint.
Another interesting thing to mention is that Japanese people wait right until the absolute end of the credits before the lights come back on and you're clear to leave...just in case the person behind you is enjoying reading them or listening to the music. Adorable.

Today, June 16th, was the day of the Relay Marathon! It was held at Green Park in Kitakyushu city about an hours drive from Iizuka. It was SO busy. I wasn't expecting so many people! Even better, there were a lot of people that were dressed up, including a super mario and princess peach, spider man, and a famous Japanese character called Kumamon. Peeps are nuts, it was SO hot, their costumes must have been unbearable. Together, myself and 6 other hospital staff, including Ken, ran 42.195 km in just under 4 hours. I've never heard so many "GANBATTE!!!!"'s in my life. Love their encouraging spirit! Despite it being a scorcher outside, we finished the race! I have officially completed my first organized marathon, yay!



Ganbatte マリオ と ピーチ!

Last but definitely not least - a huge birthday shout out to my sister Michelle! Happy 20th birthday girl!  In Japan, turning 20 is huge, it's when you're considered an adult. They even have a festival once a year called Seijin no Hi to celebrate everyone turning 20 that year. Amazing! Enjoy it girl! Missing you from all the way in Japan! xo All de love.

I am le tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment