Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Doctor Hurry!

So far in my volunteering experience at the hospital, I've only heard rumours of a call over the hospital PA system that goes by the name of  "Doctor Hurry". Essentially, it's a call that's made in an emergency situation that calls every single doctor hospital-wide to the patient in need. It's sort of like an "All hands on deck,  now, and fast!!" call. And I've been wanting to witness one since March.

Well today was that day. I was walking about the ward of the High Care Unit going about my daily work when I'd almost missed it. I just picked up the fact that the music had stopped playing and barely made out at the end of the message played over the PA: "Doctor Hurry. Doctor Hurry." By the time I'd even realized that the message had played and turned my head towards the nurse station, all the doctors that were in the HCU...were gone.

It was AMAZING! I couldn't believe that they'd even heard the message let alone got their butts out the door that fast! What an amazing display of medical care! The Japanese are so intense. Do we have our own Doctor Hurry call in Canada? I'm not even sure, but now I need to find out. And if we don't...I'm starting one.

 Now I'm intrigued and have got to see the Doctor Hurry call from the finish line, rather than to just catch a glimpse of white coats hurrying around the corner from the starting gate.

No comments:

Post a Comment