Monday, April 1, 2013

First day + fun surprises!

My first day in the Brain surgery and cerebral internal medicine ward was only semi-eventful.
We spent the morning shadowing care workers and nurses, watching while they cleaned, bathed and changed the sheets and clothes of patients. We spent a lot of the time waiting for instructions and trying to work out Japanese-English translation. But over all, it worked out okay.
We spent some time learning the layout of the ward and re-stocking cupboards. Later, Samantha and I were tasked to cutting and folding sheets of some material that we couldn't identify.
My highlight of the day came when a nurse asked "May you help me? I need to take this patient for a head CT scan." ummmm Yeah I'll help! She wanted to practice her English so we spoke with her about our ages, where we were from and our likes. She likes Queen (seems to be a trend with the Japanese) so it was inevitable that we sang "Bohemian Rhapsody" in the elevator on the way to the ER.
I was also allowed to watch and see the brain scan on monitors as it occurred in the CT machine. So cool! I was a little over excited and the doctors found it amusing.

ALSO! Within days of thinking I really wanted a "living room" table, Yano san offered one to me! He is currently in the middle of moving and he offered me a small table he wasn't planning on keeping after the move. He ever so kindly brought it over to my apartment and I love it! Starting to look a lot more homey :)

I thought it also extremely important to share a picture of my absolutely unreal dinner. Sesame/soy grilled broccoli, sesame/garlic/hot spices grilled beef over rice with sweet potatoes.

What a day to be alive!

No comments:

Post a Comment