Friday, July 12, 2013

Yukata, the summer kimono

The other day, Yukari, an operation room nurse who I've become good friends with, and I went to a shopping mall in Iizuka called AEON to try our luck finding me a Yukata. Yukata are casual summer kimono and are commonly worn in the hotter months starting around July. They are also worn to o-matsuri, festivals, and to ochakai, traditional tea ceremonies. Alas, I have been invited to a tea ceremony this Monday, July 15th and to a fireworks festival in August, so a yukata is in order!
We managed to find an amazing deal and I purchased a beautiful yukata and obi set. Usually the yukata and obi are accompanied by sandals called geta, a small fan and a small purse. But together all of those things came a little over my budget so I landed on just the yukata and the obi. Actually, Yukari and I went nuts at the 100 yen shop and I added a hair flower and a belt to my outfit for super cheap!

Check us out! Yukari even taught me how to wear the yukata and to tie the obi all by myself! :) It's not as easy as it looks. Just another thing that makes Japanese people amazing. I'm looking more Japanese by the day! I can't even tell myself apart from Japanese women anymore.



 Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment